Planning Your Move
What are some commonly overlooked pre-move arrangements I should make? Use this helpful checklist as a reminder of the things you need to do before you move.
Book the movers:
- It's a good idea to obtain estimates from several different companies.
- The estimate will depend on whether the movers pack everything or just the breakables, or whether you want to do the packing yourself.
If you own your present home:
- Arrange for the water heater and furnace rental agreements to be transferred to the purchaser.
- Disconnect your telephone, cable TV, and water softener.
If you rent your present home:
- Give your landlord written notice and make arrangements for the return of any deposits.
At your new home:
- Arrange to have gas and electricity, water softener, telephone, and cable TV connected on the day the sale closes.
- Get change-of-address cards from the post office and send them out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
- Cancel contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
- Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pick-up, newspapers, magazines, diaper, and other home services of your move. Arrange for service at your new address.
- Get a letter of introduction from your bank to help set up new accounts. Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious, or business affiliations and memberships.
- Ask your dentist, doctor, pharmacist, and optometrist to transfer medical, dental, and prescription records.
- Change the address on your driver's license effective the day of the move.
- Collect all items out for cleaning or repair, or in storage.
- Make arrangements to move perishables, such as plants.
- Make arrangements to move your pets.
- Dispose of all flammable liquids.